About our village
ZONI is a beautiful small Arcadian village in Peloponnese. It is part of the Municipality of Megalopolis. It is located about 11 km about NE of Megalopolis, 38 km SE of Andritsaina, about 20 km SE of Karytaina, about 40 km SSE of Dimitsana, about 45 Km W of Tripolis and about 67 km NE of Kalamata. Until 1928 the village was known as Zounati. It has elevation 500m.
The hills are to the East and are covered with trees groves and some rocks. The forests are around the Zoni especially with farmlands. The panorama includes Karytaina, the Lykaio mountain, the Elissos river, the Ancient Theatre of Megalopolis etc.
Longitude: 22,11879789686 (22”7’8”) E
Latitude: 37,4596792516 (37”27’29”) N
Nearest places: North the village Palamari, East the small village Trilofos, South the village Soulou and West the village Katsimpali.
Year population change:
1920 372 inhabitants
1961 192 – 180
1981 137 – 55
1991 181 + 44
2001 118 -63
2011 74 -44
The population between 1920 and 1961 almost dropped by half and between 1961 and 1981 lost more than a quarter of its total. The population recovered almost one third of the total by later in 2001, the population was down by slightly more than one-third. The population between 1920 and 2001 lost 254 inhabitants or 68.28%.
Zoni has a church (Saint Demetrius), two quint little churches (Saint Nickolas the Young, Panagia Zoedochos Pigi) and a square. Now a days, the first school of the village is a coffee – tavern and the last school is an assembly room of the “Educational and Local Improvement Society of Zoni”.
Houses were made out of stone. Until 1960’s, the roads became paved and homes received electricity… Modern Zoni is a picturesque village with hospitable inhabitants. Schedule a visit.
[ A great number of information is by the “Answers_com” ]
“EDUCATIONAL AND LOCAL IMPROVEMENT SOCIETY OF ZONI, ARCADIA”
The base of the “Educational and Local Improvement Society of Zoni” is in the small Arcadian village Zoni of the Municipality of Megalopolis. It was established in December 29, 2003 and the formation of its first Board of Directors became in May 9, 2004.
The annual membership fee is 20 euros.
Our motto is: “ZONI UNITES US”
Works and social activities
Every year: – Wall Calendar’s publication
– New Year’s Cake and the Carnival event
– August 16, the Meeting of the people from Zoni
– August 31, the Orthodox Ceremony of blessing bread for Holy Belt.
– October 26, the festivities of Saint Demetrius, of the Patron Saint of our village. Lunch in our assembly room.
Other activities: – The publication of the book (+ DVD) “200 YEARS ZONI (1810 – 2010)”.
– The creation of our site www.zounati.wordpress.com
– Day excursions (Argos, Kalavryta, Spetses etc).
– Season cards (Easter, Christmas) to all inhabitants.
– The decoration of our assembly room in “Alonia”
(the office of our Society, the Library, the kitchen).
-The construction of the basketball court and the playground in the yard in “Alonia”.
– Renovation of 3 commune wells.
– Items in Arcadian newspapers
– and a great number of hours with personal work from all the members of the Board of Directors.
The BOARD OF DIRECTORS (2016 – 2018)
President: Mrs. MARIA LAGOUDI – KALOMALOU
Vice-President: Mr.GIORGOS GEORGOPOULOS
Treasurer: Mrs. HELENA PAPADOPOULOU – PALLI
Member: Mr. PANAGIOTIS (TAKIS) PAPADIMITRIOU
Alternate Members: Mr. GIANNIS GR. PAPAIOANNOU
Mr. PANAGIOTIS XYNOGALAS
Members of the PRUDENTIAL COMMITTEE:
& Mr. DEMETRIUS K. KALOMALOS.
A book for our village
“200 YEARS ZONI (1810 – 2010)”
Author: Zacharoula Pan. Gaitanaki
Cover & back cover’s photos: Giannis Pan. Gaitanakis
pages: 64 + DVD
An edition of the “Educational and Local Improvement Society of Zoni, Arcadia”, Athens 2010
– ZONI, OUR BELOVED VILLAGE by Mr. Athanasios Pan. Argyropoulos, Former President of the “ELIS of Zoni”
– A message by the Mayor of Gortynos Mr. K. Michopoulos
– “ZONI OF OUR HEART” Preface by Zacharoula Gaitanaki
– ZONI, place, history, people
– The church of Saint Demetrius and the little churches
– Folklore of Zoni (places names, family names, nicknames, rural occupations, social life etc)
– “ZONI”, poem by the author
– “The Educational and Local Improvement Society of Zoni”
“200 YEARS ZONI (1810- 2010)” isn’t a sad memory of the beautiful past tenses of our village but it is a tender presentation, full of love and respect. Our village has a solid and unquestionable place in our hearts. Because ZONI, is ZONI of our heart…” ZACHAROULA GAITANAKI
You can order the book, if you write to:
Mrs. MARIA LAGOUDI – KALOMALOU,
“MORFOTIKOS EXORAISTIKOS SYLLOGOS ZONIS”
ZONI Dimou Megalopolis 22200 Arcadia Greece
( For the book “200 YEARS ZONI” )
THANK YOU FOR VISITING OUR SITE